There’s a lot to think about when you’re about to leave one home and move into another.
Here’s a handy checklist that should help. Feel free to print the page and make use of it!
Before You Move:
- Notify post office, charge accounts, credit card companies, utility companies, past employer (for tax return purposes), subscriptions, family and friends, etc. of address change
- Change of address service: we recommend buying a year of mail forwarding with CPC, this way as letters with the relocation sticker arrive (yellow) you will remember to change the address. Doing it for a year covers tax time as well.
- Notify insurance companies of new location for coverage
- Use up perishables, defrost freezer, clean refrigerator
- Prepare large appliances and rugs for proper moving
- Call your utility companies to cancel your current services and start for the new address
- Notify and register children in new school
- Make an appointment with your lawyer for several days before closing
On Moving Day:
- Double check rooms, closets, and cabinets for possible items left behind
- Carry jewelry and important documents on your person
- Leave all old keys needed for new owner with your lawyer
At Your New Address:
- Check on utility services – gas, electric, water, telephone, etc.
- Check to make sure everything included in the home is in working order (unless sold ‘as is’)
- If staying within the province, obtain a driver’s license with your new address on it
- Register children in school if you haven’t done so already
- Explore your neighborhood!